Business Owner (Residence) visas allow people who have had an ownership interest in an Australian business for at least 2 years to migrate permanently to Australia. You must already hold one of the Provisional Business Visas to be able to apply.
Duration and Conditions
This visa grants permanent residence status.
Do I Apply in Australia or Overseas?
Applications are to be made in Australia.
Australia encourages business investment in rural and regional areas and State and Territory government sponsorship is available for business people who can assist in the economic development of these areas. It should be noted that different requirements will apply if you are sponsored by a State/Territory government. If you are sponsored, a number of threshold requirements for the visa are lower.
Spouse and children
Your spouse and dependent children may migrate to Australia with you in the same visa class. All family members must satisfy health and character criteria. A “dependent” child is a natural or adopted child (of you or your spouse) younger than 18 years who is wholly and substantially in your or your spouse’s daily care and control. Children 18 years and older, who are still dependent on you or your spouse for financial, psychological or physical support may also be included. A child who is married is no longer a dependent child.
- You are the holder of one of the following Provisional Visas:
- Business Owner (Provisional) Visa; or
- Senior Executive (Provisional) Visa; or
- Investor (Provisional) Visa
- You have been in Australia as the holder of one of the above Provisional visas for a total of at least 12 months in the 2 years before applying.
- You have had an ownership interest in one or more Australian businesses for at least 2 years before applying.
- You continue to have an ownership interest in the Australian business/s.
- For the past 12 months your (or you and your spouse’s) assets in the Australia business/s is:
- at least AUD$100,000; or
- at least AUD$75,000 *
- For the past 12 months your (or you and your spouse’s combined) personal and business assets in Australia is AUD$250,000 *
- For the past 12 months your (or you and your spouse’s) business/s employed at least the equivalent of:
- 2 full-time employees who are Australian citizens or Australian permanent residents or New Zealand passport holders and are not members of your family unit; or
- 1 full-time employee who is an Australian citizens or Australian permanent residents or New Zealand passport holders and is not a member of your family unit *.
- Throughout the past 12 months your business/s had a turnover of:
- at least AUD$300,000; or
- at least AUD$200,000 if you are sponsored by a State/Territory government.
* You are only required to meet 2 out of criteria 5, 6 and 7 if you are sponsored by a State/Territory government. Note that business migration can be extremely complex, and even determining whether you have a good chance of qualifying can be difficult. In addition, you may be able to qualify in a number of different business migration categories.