Investor (Provisional) visas are granted to applicants who have maintained a considerable investment portfolio or ownership in a business, and are willing to make an investment of at least A$750,000 in Australian bonds for 4 years. The visa is valid for 4 years.
Duration and Conditions
This is a 4 year temporary visa. Once you have maintained an investment in Australia for 4 years or established an ownership interest in an Australian business, you can apply for permanent residence through the Investor (Residence) or Business Owner (Residence)visa.
Do I Apply in Australia or Overseas?
Residents of Hong Kong, PRC or Macau must lodge their application in Hong Kong. Residents of Taiwan must lodge their application in Taipei. Residents of all other countries must lodge their application in Perth. You can either be in Australia or overseas at the time of applying, but you must be outside of Australia when a decision is made on your application.
Australia encourages business investment in rural and regional areas and State and Territory government sponsorship is available for business people who can assist in the economic development of these areas. It should be noted that different requirements will apply if you are sponsored by a State/Territory government. If you are sponsored, a number of threshold requirements for the visa are lower.
Spouse and children
Your spouse and dependent children may migrate to Australia with you in the same visa class. All family members must satisfy health and character criteria. A “dependent” child is a natural or adopted child (of you or your spouse) younger than 18 years who is wholly and substantially in your or your spouse’s daily care and control. Children 18 years and older, who are still dependent on you or your spouse for financial, psychological or physical support may also be included. A child who is married is no longer a dependent child.
To be granted an Investor Visa for temporary residence in Australia, an applicant will need to satisfy the following criteria:
- You have a record of successful business and/or investment activities.
- You have a total of at least 3 years experience in the management of a qualifying business or eligible investment, and show a high level of management skill in relation to these business and/or investment activities.
- Throughout at least 1 of the past 5 fiscal years immediately before applying:
- You have maintained direct involvement in managing a qualifying business in which you (or you and your spouse together) had an ownership interest of at least 10%; or
- You have maintained direct involvement in managing eligible investments with a total net value of:
- at least AUD$1.5 million; or
- at least AUD$750,000 if sponsored by a State/Territory government.
- You, or you and your spouse together, must have net assets of:
- at least AUD$2.25 million; or
- at least AUD$1.125 million if sponsored by a State/Territory government.
- You have made an investment in a designated investment at the time of a decision being made equalling:
- AUD$1.5 million; or
- AUD$750,000 if sponsored by a State/Territory government.
- Show that you have a genuine and realistic commitment to maintain some form of Australian business or investment activity even after your designated investment has matured.
- You are:
- under 45 years of age; or
- under 55 years of age if sponsored by a State/Territory government.
- You have vocational English. There are no English language requirements if sponsored by a State/Territory government.
Note that business migration can be extremely complex, and even determining whether you have a good chance of qualifying can be difficult. In addition, you may be able to qualify in a number of different business migration categories.